Monday 10 January 2022

Corvette Command Ship Sinking System

I've been thinking of a way to determine what actually happens to ships in Corvette Command when they are hit and sunk by torpedoes. I'm going to try to work out a mechanism to determine how and why a merchant ship or tanker sinks, the fate of the crew and their chances of being rescued. There's a really good and detailed system in Arctic Command but I want something nice and simple to bolt on to the existing rules in Corvette Command, which just allow for the type and tonnage of the ship hit. 

The initial idea is to take the tonnage and divide it by 1000 to give an active number for the resolution table, to roll against a passive number using the U-Boats attack rating, based on the idea that the larger the ship the longer it takes to sink and the lesser the impact of a torpedo hit, against the skill of the U-Boat commander in hitting the target in the right place. There would then be modifiers for time of day, weather, type of cargo carried, risk of explosion or fire, location and chances of a rescue ship or air sea rescue coverage and so on.

It's all a bit sketchy at the moment but I think it wouldn't be too difficult to work something out?

4 comments:

  1. Hi -- what is Arctic Command? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a game based on Corvette Command but covering the Arctic convoys and armed trawlers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim -- Can you direct me? I can't find it at Wargame Vault or thru Google. Thanks.

    I've had Corvette Command for a while. Your posts have really caught my interest to play!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have said that its in the files of the Facebook group as a work in progress, so you can get hold of a copy from there if you are on FB.

    ReplyDelete