Tuesday 24 July 2018

Micro Fleet Napoleonic Naval Components


I spent an hour or so this morning happily cutting out the components for the old TTG game Micro Fleet Napoleonic Naval including the British and French ships from the core set plus some extra Spanish and British ships from the Trafalgar expansion. I have plenty to play with and still have loads of ships leftover, although I will stick to small actions rather than try anything too spectacular! 


The components are exactly as I remember them including the very nifty sailing gizmo, which consists of three separate circles of card held together with a drawing pin. You align the large circle with the compass, rotate the middle circle to line up with the wind direction, then rotate the inner small circle to align with your ship counter to determine if you need to wear or tack. Very clever. 


I'll be setting up a game to see if I remember how to play it after thirty or more years and to see how clunky or smooth it is, although I suspect it will fall foul of the numerous tables and modifiers problem that characterises rules of this particular vintage, even the supposedly fast play variety? It will be interesting to find out if I enjoy playing it as much as I did back in the early 80's?

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to hearing about this. I had the WW2 version, but only played it a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the coastal warfare game and it was good fun but, having replayed it later, it definitely showed it's age. I fear the same might be true with this one?

    ReplyDelete